Greg Taylor/The Recusant on Ambrose Moran

I would be curious to know Ecclesia Militans’ appraisal of Greg Taylor’s analysis.

I would further ask a delicate question:

If the followers of the 4 bishops have acknowledged some shortcomings, flaws, faults, and mistakes in their governance, and now the Bostonians are seemingly making some of the same admissions from their side regarding Fr. Pfeiffer, even though Pfeiffer/Williamson may never be reconciled, what are the prospects for reunification of the lay Resistance as the SSPX goes down the toilet?

All this verbiage when it was so clear he was a fraud from the beginning when we saw the images of him and heard his unbelievable tales on YouTube. Are people that gullible?

If you are a close collaborator of Fr. Pfeiffer, you will be slower to see his faults and mistakes (Just as the collaborators of Bishop Williamson will be slower to see same):

We all possess a natural tendency to resist the arguments of our perceived adversaries (yours truly included), and this slows the apprehension of truth.

What I see now is opportunity:

If the Bostonians can quit making an intolerable heresy out of every episcopal imprudence, and red-lighting everyone for everything…

And if those under the four bishops can acknowledge those imprudences…

Then there is an opportunity here (which the devil will rush to squelch).

Let’s hope that there can be some sort of unity among the scattered groups.

To the best of my knowledge, they haven’t. It is still a subject that is taboo and will get you slandered and shunned for mentioning it in public.

To the best of my knowledge, they aren’t. They just won’t go any further with Moran (for now), but it takes more than that to backtrack from their long road of sophism, exaggeration, deceit, abuse, sarcasm, ridicule, pride, verbal diarrhoea, etc.

Neither of the two are known to be bridge builders, so I don’t think there’s any chance these two will ever reconcile.

What are the prospects for unification of the loose associations?

You and I would both be examples of Resistance who have supported the bishops, but who have tried (however imperfectly) to discuss certain problematic policies relative to their organization of the apostolate.

Regarding the Bostonians, there seems to be a growing discomfort which has resulted in waves of defections: First over the Fr Roberts and “road rage” sermon, and now over Moran. True, there are many other problematic issues and tendencies still in play (habitual exaggeration and inculcated distortion chief among them), but if these folks have realized they have been misled in the former, perhaps they will come to realize the same in some other areas as well.

As regards the unification of the loose confederations, it would be nice if they were to resubmit themselves to authority, but not essential (for the growth of the Resistance, anyway): The stronger bastions of the Resistance center around those groups still accepting of a traditional Catholic organization of the apostolate (eg, Avrille, Santa Cruz, SAJM, MCSPX, etc.), and while most of the loose confederations will dissolve with no way to perpetuate themselves once their independent leaders die, there are hope and the principle of perpetuity in those groups which have retained the Archbishop’s (and the Catholic Church’s) teachings in this regard.

I hope and pray you’re right, but so far all I have seen is that once these people hit a brick wall they prefer to stay home alone, rather than backtrack. And I must admit, the thought of walking away from (dis)organised religion crosses my own mind almost every day. No matter where you look, all parties (or associations if you like) have their problems. I think it’s just a matter of eliminating the worst options, and hopefully you can stop eliminating before there are no options left.

That’s about the size of it.

Throughout the last several years, I have been repeatedly asked, “If the SSPX caves, making all options doctrinally and/or morally impermissible, what do we do then?”

My answer has always been the same: Some variation of “Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof; we can cross that bridge when we come to it.”

In other words, I do not have an answer.

My hope has been that the Resistance would be better established throughout the world by now, such that it would become a regular option for me, and I would be relieved of having to come up with the right answer.

For various reasons, that simply hasn’t happened.

I have hoped that God would not put us in a seemingly impossible situation, such that the only choices would seem to be to choose between a variety of morally impermissible options (eg., going to an SSPV chapel, despite not being sede; remaining SSPX even as their conciliar infection festers, and reprogramming my family on a daily basis; finding some independent chapel, despite all the dangers and objections; worst of all (?), going the home alone route, relinquishing the public exercise of the virtue of religion but fearing I have offended God by making too much out of things that perhaps could/should have been tolerated).

Or maybe it is that one of these seemingly miserable options really is not objectionable after all, and I am erring in judgment one way or another and thereby blocking myself from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

In good faith, I have tried to see it!

Yet for the life of me, I cannot shake the thought that the ultimate and fundamental reason for the reorientation of the SSPX, and the primary cause implicit in each compromise, contradiction, and change is the unspoken belief among the majority of SSPX clergy (and all SSPX major superiors) that Archbishop Lefebvre was wrong all along: That he was wrong doctrinally, overreacted, and went too far.

Of course, this can never be publicly acknowledged, or the pews would empty.

I just pray Our Lady will not let me make a terrible mistake, and that knowing how much I would like to please her Son if only I knew how to navigate a post-SSPX world, I would certainly do it. And maybe from this good intention she will not let me fall to the left or to the right, and walk me through the narrow gate.

I realize “Hope is not a strategy,” but it is a virtue nonetheless.

And at present, it is all I really have to grab onto.

And maybe that was by Design (which is an encouraging thought).